This is one interesting game between the arm and comeback ability of Michigan Spartans Kirk Richardson and the running backs of Alabama Crimson Tide‘s Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson. This game had relied on the comeback ability of Kirk Cousins for over a quarter or so. However, he was facing an aggressive Crimson Tide‘s defense as he was facing an uphill battle into the second half. However, with his injury in the third quarter, Andrew Maxwell took over against a huge lead until he suffered an injury as well. The third string Keith Nichol was forced to start, and well, this isn’t Any Given Sunday, and he isn’t Steamin’ Beamin.
Here are my observations of this college bowl:
- Crimson Tide’s running back Mark Ingram has shown he is still playing for the 2011 NFL Draft. He scored two touchdowns in the first half. Greg McElroy‘s 30-yard pass to Mark Ingram in the second quarter demonstrated how versatile Ingram is. Hopefully, it doesn’t take three years for Ingram in the NFL, like Darren McFadden of the Oakland Raiders.
- Meanwhile, his partner running back Trent Richardson scored a touchdown in the first half. Richardson is just as devastating with his running potential.
- Tides wide receiver Julio Jones 35-yard reversal for a touchdown in the second quarter was phenomenal.
- The Crimson Tide had outplayed the Spartans into the second half and had a lead of 28-0. Part of it was the Spartans defense was outrunned and tired as a result.
- Spartans quarterback Kirk Cousins was harassed seriously for the second quarter and afterwards. After the Tide gained the big lead, it was up to Cousins and his comeback ability for this team.
- Remember that XBox360 now has ESPN3 and Kinect, according to the commercial in the intermission.
- The running game gave the Tides quarterback Greg McElroy a pocket to Marquis Maze a 37-yard touchdown in the beginning of the third quarter.
- The Spartans defense was just plain tied and frustrated coming into the third quarter. With the Tides using second and third strings against the Spartans defense, it was quite a sad to watch the Tides offense still capable of moving the ball efficiently down the field. With fourth string running back Eddie Lacy’s two touchdowns for the Tides to lead 49-0 by early fourth quarter, the game has been sealed and over.
This was a dominating performance by the Alabama Crimson Tides over the Michigan State Spartans with a score of 49-7. Their running back tandem of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson was simply too much for the Spartans defense too handle by the half. With the abundance of injuries to the Spartan offense, this game was long over.