With the 2013 Subway Fit Fresh 500 at Phoenix International Speedway, there are more problems with the Gen-6 cars for all the driving teams and all the manufacturers. Carl Edwards wins the Subway Fit Fresh 500 and breaks his winless streak of two seasons.
- Gen-6 Wheel Issues. The braking on these Gen-6 cars taxes the wheels tremendously. Several cars went out from this problem.
- Gen-6 Four-Wheel vs. Two-Wheel Pit Stops. While the four-wheel changes usually provide a lot of grip, they don’t provide a lot of speed as before. Perhaps it is best to do two-wheel pit stops going forward.
- Pole Position. For these new cars, the driver at pole position maybe leads one or two laps — then they fall behind. But that’s nothing new to NASCAR.
- Danica Patrick. The drama continues. Her driving skills has not.
- Rick Stenhouse Jr. He has made an impressive jump in the standings as he is ninth on the leaderboard.
- Hendrick Motorsports. Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. currently lead in points. It’s only two races in, but it’s still impressive.
- Last Lap Racing. This seems to be the trend as this is when real racing in NASCAR begins and ends. It’s nothing new to NASCAR, but it’s something new to these Gen-6 cars.
- Clint Bowyer. Slow the heck down when in the pits, dude. Less casualties involving your crew members that way — and more communication is always helpful.
- Carl Edwards. Finally broke 70-race skid and the two-season drought…those Subway sandwiches finally do some good.
- Side-Drafting. The Gen-6 cars work fairly decently as side-drafting goes, but they are still loose. Trading paint isn’t intentional like before but accidental often than not. The Kobalt Tools 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway will put these cars to a real test of their mettle.
Now onto the Kobalt Tools 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway…
- 2013 Daytona 500: 10 Things That Spun Our Wheels (phillyfantasysports.com)
- Subway Fresh Fit 500: Jimmie Johnson unhappy with how Edwards restarted race (sbnation.com)
- NASCAR Phoenix 2013 results: Dale Earnhardt Jr. ‘disappointed’ with fifth-place result (sbnation.com)
- Brian Baumgartner ‘helps’ Carl Edwards win (espn.go.com)
- 2013 Subway 500: Hamlin rebounds to third-place finish (examiner.com)